On Tuesday I went to a school with our project nurse. I sat with her while she saw roughly 70 kids for treatment, most kids were in for colds or headaches (common in dry areas, due to dehydration). But a number of them were in for things like scabies and ringworm. Not having ever had either of those, in school or otherwise, I had to clarify what they were. I can’t imagine a kid at home going to see the school nurse and being diagnosed with one of those. Could you imagine the response from the parents?!
**
The story was interesting enough, but I was really struck by one of the sisters. She was dressed in a ski cap hat, long skirt, t-shirt and wool sweater, despite the 90+ degree heat. Her cheeks were hollow, collar bones protruding. She was obviously sick, and didn’t speak. When she stood up, she walked very deliberate and slow, and despite the layers of clothing, you could see how thin she was. After the interviews, I followed her to see one of their gardens. Her English was limited, but after a few minutes she told me that she was sick. She didn’t say why or with what…and there’s no way to be certain, but given her family’s history, one could speculate she has AIDS. She kept telling me that she was happy, and loved her garden and the family business. I got the impression she mustered up some strength to visit with me that day.
In what seems to be a theme, I feel a bit conflicted. I am happy about the work I did, and the material I will produce. That’s the main reason for all of this. But being there, sticking my camera and nose into their lives, with my chipper voice and enthusiastic manner, I couldn’t help but (partly) feel like a big boob.
No comments:
Post a Comment