Thursday, April 15, 2010

early days

This week was pretty different from most first weeks in African countries I've had. I hit the ground running in terms of the life stuff, thanks to some ready-made friends (former colleagues), and one lovely gal in particular who dragged me around 3 out of my first 4 nights here. Friday found me having drinks at a youth hostel with locals, an italian resto with the NGO muckity-mucks, and ending at a German pub with my old boss from DC. Saturday was game night at my friends with her crowd, and Sunday joined in for a braai (southern african BBQ), my first in a few years...complete with tons of filet, a nice pool, lots of sun, and a bit too much beer + whiskey + gin and tonics...made for a long monday morning.


It's been quiet at work with most of our staff running around trying to tie things up for the end of the project, which has been a good way for me to get a head start on my work. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the very long list of things I have to work on. I really enjoy the project so far, the people are really friendly, and the content I'm working on engaging, but more on that later...

I'm going to try to do more yoga here, and found a cool class at the Alliance Francaise which is outside during sunset, unheard of in boston! Been looking for more longer-term housing a bunch, and it looks like i've found a guest house in a good neighborhood that i'll share with some new friends, which is SO exciting because it's been more than a week since I've made a meal and i'm getting a little desperate. i'm armed with a copy of Jamie magazine from Heathrow and i can't WAIT to see what i can actually make...might be hard to find lemon curd here...

Looks like the weeks ahead are going to be a lot of desk work, so i'll have to try and be a bit adventurous on the weekends. looking forward to a trip to Vic falls in Livingstone, would LOVE to get to some beaches in Mozambique, and plan a trip back to Swazi. Sadly inter-African flights are more expensive than you'd think, so may not get to it all...as always, visitors are welcome (still waitng for one of those)! I'll be happy as a clam to put you up and make you some lemon-zest infused rocket/courgette pizzaettes, or something random like that...




Reason #512 to move out of the hotel: these guys above singing the most unemotive versions of bob marley and enrique iglesias songs.

No comments: