Friday, October 10, 2008

My Ride

After much trial and tribulation, I’ve got my very own car in Swaziland! It’s a dark blue VW Golf and it’s lovely. I’m a VW girl, so I feel right at home with it…except for the wheel being on the right side, and having to remind myself which side of the road to be on.

It did not come without its troubles, though, including:

*convincing friends who barely know me to drive me around Swaziland to visit car dealers, for days on end.
*living in the bank two mornings in a row
*and being lied to, by various people at the car dealer. Repeatedly.

Not unusual for Swaziland or anywhere Africa, but when you feel isolated and stranded, your tolerance for bullshit goes way down. For a while I was convinced I had bad car karma…and that may well have been, but I just need to keep reminding myself that it’s just the way it is here!

In any case, I’m now mobile, and hope to get used to being on the roads quickly. Lots of road trips to plan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it! i think you'll pick up the wrong-side-of-the-road driving pretty quickly. I found that after a few days of driving in Tanzania, i stopped thinking about it. when you're up for a real challenge, try a stick shift!