Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What I'm Worth

The Swazi and often African tradition of bride price is an age-old practice where the would-be husband must pay the gal's father a certain amount of X commodity for her hand in marriage. It varies by culture, but here it often comes in the form of cows or other livestock.

Well today, I find out that my friend and some of his workers who I have been spending time with at a rural school (working on my next video story), had a conversation about how much I'd be worth.

Well, turns out that I could fetch as many as 25 cows! (and/or 100 goats, take your pick) This in the professional opinion of one of the day laborer's, that is.

Best part, that's what a Swazi princess can get!

Apparently the average lady will get around 14-18 cows. Not sure what the criteria is, but I guess it's interesting to know what the locals would pay for me.

No comments: